Friday, September 18, 2009

Squash Loaf: Tastes Better Than It Sounds

Recently, a friend's mother made something for dinner that I thought sounded like the worst idea in the world: meatloaf inside a squash.

I like meatloaf. I like squash. Together, it can only go wrong.

But it went oh so right. It was spicy, hearty, and oh so delicious.

I know a lot of gardeners are drowning under zucchini and squash right now. This is a great way to use some of them up. This would also be a great way to get kids to eat their veggies. Since the recipe also uses salsa, you could use more fresh veggies from your garden. This is by far enough to feed four people.

Squash Loaf

1 medium sized squash or zucchini
1 lb hamburger
breadcrumbs
1 egg
seasoning
salsa

Start by cutting the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and hollow it out a little bit so that there is room for the meatloaf.
Mix the hamburger, egg, enough breadcrumbs to achieve the texture you want, and any seasonings you wish to have.
Put the meatloaf mixture inside the squash. Pour salsa over the meatloaf and squash. I didn't include a measurement for the salsa because the amount is going to be different for everyone.
Bake at 375 for about one hour or until the meatloaf is fully cooked and the squash is tender.
I encourage you to try this recipe out. I was hesitant to try it at first, but then the smell wafted in from the kitchen, and I was in love. I had two servings, and may or may not have contemplated a third.

No comments:

Post a Comment