Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Hot Potato!


There are as many recipes using potatoes as there are fish in the sea. Baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, scalloped potatoes, etc. A friend of mine, Anna, emailed me a great new recipe using potatoes and wasabi, and it is worth trying.

Wasabi is also known as Japanese horseradish. It is a relative of cabbage, and the root of the plant is ground into a paste. It is commonly served with sushi.

"I really like the brand Simply Potatoes. They have a variety of potato products in the form of hash browns, diced potatoes, sliced potatoes... And they are all natural with no added oils," Anna says. "I really like the sliced ones the best, as they make in of a nice finger food and 'chip' like after they are cooked."

Anna recommends sprinkling the potatoes with wasabi powder or using the paste as a dip.

I found a tube of wasabi paste for $1.98 at the local grocery store, and it should last me for a long time. It needs to be refrigerated after opening, but otherwise has no special instructions.

My mom dropped off a bag of vegetables this weekend, and she included some Yukon Gold potatoes. I really like these potatoes. They are really creamy when used for mashed potatoes, but don't stand up well to grilling.

Below is the recipe I used to make Wasabi Wedges. They turned out really well, and my sister-in-law was nice enough to taste test with me. She said that the wedges "were spicy, but not too overwhelming." I thought they were a nice take on normal potato wedges.


Wasabi Wedges

1 lb Yukon Gold potatoes
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tsp wasabi paste or 1 T wasabi powder

Preheat the oven to 450. Cut the potatoes into quarters, or eighths for larger potatoes. Put the wedges into a large bowl. Next, combine the oil and the wasabi with a whisk. Pour over the potatoes and toss to coat.
Spread potatoes on a baking sheet with sides, and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

Below are a few links about the health benefits of wasabi. Feel free to test this recipe and let me know what you think!

The Phenomenal Health Benefits of Wasabi
Five Spices with Health Benefits
Wasabi isn't only tasty. It's good for you!
Hot and Healthy Wasabi

2 comments:

  1. I love potatoes but there is no way I'm using wasabi. Ick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had mashed potatoes with just wasabi before. Since there was only a little amount of wasabi, they potatoes were pretty bland, so I'm definitely interested in trying the wedges with more wasabi.

    ReplyDelete